Topic of the Week
Harassment - Employer Policies
Generally an employer provides its employees with a handbook or workplace policies to set forth expected behavior and procedures within the workplace. Employer policies can impact your ability to bring a claim in court and in some cases can create contrac
Blog of the Week
'This is my home': Undocumented students, educators await a DACA decision
Hundreds of thousands of undocumented students across the country live with the fear that they could face deportation and an end to their plans for higher education.
Thought for the Week
"Requiring former employees to contact the company’s legal department before speaking up is a huge barrier. If NBCUniversal is truly committed to letting survivors and employees speak out about sexual harassment at the network, it should simply release them from their non-disclosure agreements. There is no reason to place the burden on those who choose to speak to reveal themselves in advance to NBCUniversal. This is an example of the burdens that perpetuate fear and silence, no matter what new policies and trainings may say."
–Tina Tchen, the incoming president and CEO of the Time’s Up organization
List of the Week
2018 Hiscox Workplace Harassment Study
- Among survey respondents 35% of workers feel they have been harassed at work. Among women, the figure is even higher at 41%.
- Among survey respondents who said they were harassed, 78% said their harassers were men, and 73% said they were harassed by someone who was in a senior position to them in the organization.
- Over half (53%) of those who experienced harassment didn’t report it because they feared a hostile work environment.
- Nearly as many (46%) cited a fear of retaliation (such as being terminated from their job) as a top reason for keeping quiet.
Top Five News Headlines
- Walmart to Pay $80,000 and Implement Nationwide Change in Policy to Settle EEOC Disability Lawsuit
- Uber Hit With $650 Million Employment Tax Bill in New Jersey (3)
- A striking number of nurses say they're victims of workplace violence
- How To Remain Calm Under Pressure In The Workplace
- How is technology changing your workplace culture?